Association for Progress, Education and Lobbying – PEL Skopje held the kick-off meeting for the project “Sport to promote change for LGBT” in Skopje, North Macedonia from 13th-16th May 2019.
The project is financed by the Erasmus+ programme of the European Commission.
During the meeting we had the chance to get to know our partners, to discuss the project development and to finalize the activities.
About the project
The aim of the project is to build the capacity of organizations and individuals in order to provide better practices through new forms of training and support developed for target groups with the focus on raising awareness about the rights and need for support to young LGBT persons in sports and establishing safety net for these persons and educational programmes for other actors involved in sports/sport clubs.
Specific objectives are:
- To understand our own beliefs and feelings about LGBT phobia, and recognize and act upon the important leadership role you play as life learning individual;
- To promote greater understanding and awareness of the effects of discrimination against young LGBT individuals and prejudice in schools effecting them;
- To present EU legislation, papers and actions in support of LGBT people in sports;
- Act quickly to address LGBT phobic language, jokes and actions that ridicule or put down LGBT people, women or any minority groups;
- To clarify the role of EU institutions, national institutions, non-profit/non-government organizations, sporting clubs and individuals in the wholesome of support for LGBT sports-persons and young people;
- To establish a network of organizations that will further promote equality of LGBT persons in sports.